Spanish Springs Presbyterian Church News
- The Community Food Pantry at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is requesting cereal and breakfast foods for August. There is always a need for EVERYTHING, including personal hygiene items and all sizes of diapers. Drop off your donations at SSPC and one of our volunteers will deliver them to the food pantry.
- Good Shepherd’s Clothes Closet. Clean underwear and socks are prized by those without. Travel-size toiletries including razors, deodorant, lip balm, toothbrushes and toothpaste are in short supply. Drop off your donations at church and an SSPC volunteer will take your donations to Good Shepherd’s.
- Nursery Every Sunday, Spanish Springs Presbyterian Church is offering child care for infants and toddlers during worship. We are so happy to have Sheila Peaslee tend the nursery on Sundays.
- Sundays after Church A DVD class, “Creed,” with discussion afterwards, will be held. Together we will explore The Apostles’ Creed. Class time is 12:00 noon, following church. We hope to see you there!
- Presbyterian Women PW meets on the 3rd Monday of each month. The meeting and Bible Study will start at 1:00 p.m. For those who would like to bring their lunch and fellowship before the meeting, they should arrive at 12:30 p.m. The October meeting will be on October 16. The 2017-2018 Bible study is “Cloud of Witnesses: The Community of Christ in Hebrews” by Melissa Bane Sevier.
- Prayer List Do you have a family member or loved one facing challenges at this time? We will pray for you and your family members. If you would like to become a Prayer Chain Angel, our coordinator will forward prayer requests to you.
- Choir SSPC would love to have YOU join the adult choir! Rehearsals resume on August 30 and will continue to be held on Wednesday evenings at 6:30. Sunday morning rehearsals will be at 9:30 prior to Sunday worship services. “Who sings well prays twice.”—St. Augustine
- Cub Scouts Coming to SSPC! SSPC is launching a brand new Cub Scout Pack! We are in need of a few volunteers to be a part of this venture, in an advisory role or in a leadership role. This will be a wonderful outreach to families in our area! We are looking for boys, Grades 1-5, who might be interested in being Cub Scouts! Please get the word out! “Join Night” was held at the church on Thursday, September 7, from 6:30 – 7:30 PM. The first Pack Meeting will be held at SSPC on Thursday, September 28 at 6:30 PM. On October 14, Cub Scout Pack 25 will participate in a family hike to see petroglyphs! Meet at the church at 9:00 AM for a wonderful adventure!
- CROP Hunger Walk–October 15, 2017 Idlewild Park, Reno Registration begins at 1:30 PM with the walk starting at 2:00 PM. You may be a walker or a sponsor. SSPC has long been a participating church in this community event; the Reno CROP Hunger Walk has raised $259,808 in the past 25 years. Additional information is available at SSPC.
- Life Line Screening at SSPC on October 26, 2017 Life Line Screening, a leading provider of community-based preventive health screenings will be in our community on Thursday, October 26, 2017 at Spanish Springs Presbyterian Church. Ultrasound screenings to Identify risk factors for Cardiovascular disease include; Carotid Artery (plaque buildup-a leading cause of stroke), Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (an enlargement or weak area in the main blood vessel that carries blood from the heart to the rest of the body), Peripheral Arterial Disease (hardening of the arteries in the legs), a Heart Rhythm Screening (an EKG to detect Atrial Fibrillation-irregular heartbeat) and an Osteoporosis Risk Assessment for men and women. Being proactive about your health by knowing your risks helps you and your doctor address problems early.Register online TODAY at www.lifelinescreening.com/communitycircle and receive your “Community Circle” discount and your Preferred Appointment!
Spanish Springs Presbyterian Church — Recent Events
- Good Shepherd’s Clothes Closet Clean underwear and socks are prized by those without. When cold weather arrives, the need for warm winter clothes is high; blankets, sleeping bags, coats, winter hats, gloves and warm winter boots are requested. Travel-size toiletries including razors, deodorant, lip balm, toothbrushes and toothpaste are in short supply. Drop off your donations at church and an SSPC volunteer will take your donations to Good Shepherd’s.
- The Community Food Pantry at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church requests boxed, bottled, canned, and pre-packaged food supplies to distribute to those in need. There is always a need for EVERYTHING, including personal hygiene items. Drop off your donations at SSPC and one of our volunteers will deliver them to the food pantry.
- Heifer Project Update Following the Heifer Project Cookie Sale on December 11, 2016, SSPC youth raised enough money to purchase two water buffalo for families in third-world communities! “Buffalo are a blessing! With a Heifer Project water buffalo, farmers can grow four times more than if plowing by hand. Buffalo manure fertilizer improves their crops. They rent their buffalo to other farmers and sell calves for extra income. With a river buffalo, children will get rich milk to drink, as well.” www.heifer.org
- Potato Bar Fellowship Event—January 22, 2017 On January 22, 2017, members of the congregation enjoyed a potato bar followed by the DVD Friendly Persuasion. And a good time was had by all!
- Education Tree: In February of 2017, members of the congregation took tags from the Education Tree so that our members can help with supplies needed by the teachers at Anderson Elementary School. Participants were asked to take a tag, purchase the item, and bring it back to church.
- Souper Bowl of Caring—February 5, 2017 Souper Bowl of Caring was held on February 5, 2017. Souperbowl of Caring (souperbowl.org) is a national movement of young people, working in their communities on Super Bowl Sunday to fight hunger and poverty. All food and monetary donations collected from our congregation on February 5 will be given to St. Paul’s Food Pantry.
- Presidents’ Day Lunch—February 19, 2017 February 19, 2017, members and their guests stayed after worship for a hot dog lunch with all the fixings and cherry dessert.
- Ash Wednesday Observances–2017 On Ash Wednesday, March 1, 2017, the Spanish Springs Presbyterian Church congregation enjoyed fellowship and a soup supper. Following the supper, the Ash Wednesday worship and Communion service was held, including the Imposition of Ashes.
- Good Friday Service—April 14, 2017—7:00 pm Spanish Springs Presbyterian Church participatedin a multi-church Sparks-wide Good Friday worship service at 7:00 pm on April 14, 2017 at Sparks United Methodist Church. The SSPC choir sang, with our Pastor Pat offering prayer.
- Palm Sunday Procession, Pancake Breakfast and Easter Egg Hunt–2017 Palm Sunday, April 9, 2017, was a banner day at SSPC. We experienced the Procession of the Palms and heard about “The King on a Donkey” during the morning worship service. The Boca Brass provided inspirational music for the prelude, offertory, special music, and postlude. Everyone enjoyed fellowship and the pancake breakfast that followed the worship service; then the children hunted for Easter eggs outside.
- Taco And Talent Show Fellowship Event–2017 On Saturday evening, May 6, 2017, SSPC family and friends participated in and enjoyed a taco bar followed by a star-studded talent show. The stellar line-up included an opening sing-along with the SSPC Bluegrassers (“This Land is Your Land”); Travel Slides ; “Hole in the Bucket”; a skit with audience participation: The Genealogy of Jesus (Fellowship Ministry Team) with audience participation by applauding, cheering, booing, hissing, and questioning (Huh?); Musical Duet; Artistic Quilt Presentation; Solo with Guitar Accompaniment; Trombone Solo—Dixieland Style; Name That Tune—Golden Oldies from the Hymnal; “Where Oh Where?” (Men’s Quartet); and “Will the Circle Be Unbroken?” (Group singing by all). Arts and Crafts displays included the beautiful hand-made greeting cards, artistic quilts, creatively-counted cross-stitch, and decorative potholders. The talent show was opened and closed with prayer. Everyone who participated laughed, listened, and learned!
- The Church Has Left The Building (TCHLTB)–2017 Spanish Springs Presbyterian Church participated in various Mission projects throughout the year. On Sunday, May 21 workers met at Sparks United Methodist Church for prayer and a send-off. Volunteers met with project team leaders then returned to Sparks UMC for lunch and a short worship service. Service projects that SSPC folks participated in included singing at nursing homes, picking up trash in a park, gardening, sorting clothes at Good Shepherd’s, working at St. Paul’s Food Pantry, and distributing sandwiches to people along the river. Others of our congregation participated by preparing the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
- Fellowship Activity for June—Day Trip to Martin’s Nursery in Standish, CA–2017 On Saturday, June 3, 2017, members and friends of Spanish Springs Presbyterian Church travelled by car pool to Standish, California and visited Standish Nursery. Folks purchased herbs, flowering annuals and perennials, vegetable plants, hanging planters, and even a peach tree! The group had lunch and fun at the nearby Pizza Factory.
- PW Spring Tea–2017 All women of the church were invited to attend the PW Spring Tea on Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM. The tea was held in the Fellowship Hall at SSPC. Guests were asked to bring a sandwich to share, a white elephant for the silent auction, and a quilt or other sentimental item to talk about and share a story. Women and their guests enjoyed this time of fun and fellowship!
- Vacation Bible School—Baobab Blast–June 7, 8, & 9, 2017 On July 7-9, 2017, both the young and the young-at-heart participated in the lively and spiritual multi-age Baobab Blast Vacation Bible School. Participants enjoyed Bible lessons, memory verses, music, crafts, games, and snacks! We included a pot-luck dinner celebration of a family as they prepared to move overseas! The special mission project for our VBS was “Operation Christmas Child” in which shoeboxes are delivered to children in developing countries . The shoeboxes were filled with school supplies, hygiene items, a small toy, and the message of Jesus’ love!
- Annual Church Picnic on July 22, 2017 The Annual SSPC Picnic was held at the Lions Pavilion in Rancho San Rafael Regional Park in Reno on Saturday, July 22. The temperature was 97o, but attendees were cool in the shade and under the pavilion, enjoying the dragonflies, friendly ducks, and cool breezes wafting off the nearby pond. Those who wished played ladderball, and there was plenty of great food, visiting and good fellowship. Following the meal, participants enjoyed singing some old favorites accompanied by the SSPC Men’s Quartet. Thanks to the Fellowship Ministry Team for organizing and hosting this much-anticipated annual event!
- Salad Bar Luncheon on August 13, 2017 Following Sunday worship on August 13, the Fellowship Ministry Team served a salad bar luncheon. Lettuce and dressings were provided with attendees bringing the “fixin’s.” The food was delicious and everyone had a wonderful time!
- Ice Cream Social Sunday, September 10, following the 10:30 AM Sunday worship service, an Ice Cream Social was held in the Fellowship Hall. Everyone enjoyed sweet treats and great fellowship!
Spanish Springs Presbyterian Church
October 2017 Calendar
Sun., Oct. 1—9:30 am—Choir Rehearsal
Sun., Oct. 1—10:30 am—Communion—Sunday Worship
Sun., Oct. 1—10:45 am—Sunday School
Sun., Oct. 1—12:00 pm—Adult Sunday School “Creed”
Wed., Oct.4 —10:00 am—Men’s Group
Wed., Oct. 4—1:00 pm—Worship Ministry Team
Thurs., Oct. 5—10:00 am—Bible Study “Creed” at SSPC
Sun., Oct. 8—9:30 am—Choir Rehearsal
Sun., Oct. 8—10:30 am—Sunday Worship
Sun., Oct. 8—10:45 am—Sunday School
Sun., Oct. 8—12:00 pm—Adult Sunday School “Creed”
Mon., Oct. 9–6:00 pm–Ecumenical Reformation Service–St. Therese Little Flower Church, Reno
Tues., Oct. 10—7:00 pm—Session
Wed., Oct. 11—10:00 am—Men’s Group
Thurs., Oct. 12—10:30 am—Bible Study “Creed” at SSPC
Thurs., Oct. 12—4:00 pm—Fellowship Ministry Tea
Fri., Oct. 13–10:00 am–Aston-Kinetics Movement Class
Sun., Oct. 15—9:30 am—Choir Rehearsal
Sun., Oct. 15—10:30 am—Sunday Worship
Sun., Oct. 15—10:45 am—Sunday School
Sun., Oct. 15—12:00 pm—Adult Sunday School “Creed”
Sun., Oct. 15–1:30 pm–Registration for CROP Hunger Walk, Idlewild Park, Reno
Sun., Oct. 15–2:00 pm–CROP Hunger Walk, Idlewild Park, Reno
Mon., Oct. 16—12:30 pm—PW Fellowship and Sack Lunch
Mon., Oct. 16—1:00 pm—PW Meeting and Bible Study
Wed., Oct. 18—10:00 am—Men’s Group
Wed., Oct. 18—6:30 pm—Choir Rehearsal
Thurs., Oct. 19—10:30 am—Bible Study “Creed” at SSPC
Fri., Oct. 20–10:00 am–Aston-Kinetics Movement Class
Sat., Oct. 21—5:00 pm—Chili Feed and Travel Show
Sun., Oct. 22—9:00am—Christian Education Ministry Team
Sun., Oct. 22—9:30 am—Choir Rehearsal
Sun., Oct. 22—10:30 am—Sunday Worship
Sun., Oct. 22—10:45 am—Sunday School
Sun., Oct. 22—12:00 pm—Adult Sunday School “Creed”
Mon., Oct. 23—10:00 am—Deacons
Wed., Oct. 25—10:00 am—Men’s Group
Wed., Oct. 25—1:00 pm—November Faithtrails Deadline
Wed., Oct. 25—6:30 pm—Choir Rehearsal
Thurs., Oct. 26—8:30 am—5:30 pm—Lifeline Screening Event
Thurs., Oct. 26—10:30 am—Bible Study “A Grace-Full Life” at Member’s Home
Fri., Oct. 27—Office Closed in Observance of Nevada Day
Sun., Oct. 29—9:30 am—Choir Rehearsal
Sun., Oct. 29—10:30 am—Sunday Worship
Sun., Oct. 29—10:45 am—Sunday School
Sun., Oct. 29—12:00 pm—Adult Sunday School “A Grace-Full Life”
SSPC Monthly Meetings
|3rd Sunday of the Month
|Christian Education Ministry Team|
|3rd Monday of the Month||12:30 pm||Presbyterian Women Sack Lunch & Fellowship
Meetings resume on September 18.
|3rd Monday of the Month||1:00 pm||Presbyterian Women Meeting
Meetings resume on September 18.
|2nd Tuesday of the Month||7:00 pm||Session Meeting|
|1st Wednesday of the Month||10:00am||Fellowship Outreach Meeting|
|1st Wednesday of the Month||10:00 am||Worship Ministry Team|
|1st Thursday of the Month||11:00 am||Mission Ministry Team|
|1st Thursday of the Month||1:00 pm||Outreach Ministry Team|
|4th Monday of the Month||1:00 pm||Deacon’s Meeting|
|Every Wednesday||10:00 am||Men’s Group|
Rev. Patrick Mecham’s Monthly Worship Schedule:
|October 1, 2017||Psalm 78, 1-4, 12-26; Philippians 2: 1-13; Matthew 21: 23-32
“Unity through Humility”
|Rev. Patrick Mecham|
|October 8, 2017|| Exodus 20: 1-4, 7-9, 12-20; Psalm 19; Matthew 21: 33-46
“A Better Way”
|Rev. Susan Taylor|
|October 15, 2017|| Psalm 106: 1-6, 19-23; Philippians 4: 1-9; Matthew 22: 1-10
|Rev. Patrick Mecham|
|October 22, 2017|| Psalm 99, 1 Thessalonians 1: 1-10, Matthew 22: 15-22
“What Belongs to God?”
|Rev. Patrick Mecham|
|October 29, 2017||
Psalm 90: 1-6, 1 Thessalonians 2:1-8, Matthew 22: 34-46
“The Greatest Commandment(s)”
|Rev. Patrick Mecham|